Thank you Pinterest for giving me a new addiction! While perusing Pinterest I came across this fantastic blog called “your cup of cake” and it is such a delicious looking site! My heart stopped when I came across these blueberry/lemon cupcakes I just had to make them!
Not only does my house smell amazing but this recipe yielded enough cupcakes that my work will get some too!
PS: I left a few without frosting and just heated them up for morning coffee break!
Lemon Blueberry Cakes:
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 ½ cups flour
¼ cup corn starch
1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons lemon zest
¼ cup lemon juice
1 cup sour cream
1 cup buttermilk
1 ¾ cups blueberries + 2 tb flour
Lemon Blueberry Buttercream:
1 cup butter
¼ cup blueberries
3 teaspoons lemon juice
3 ½ -4 ½ cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners (yields about 32).
2. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Be sure to scrape down the sides of your bowl.
3. On low speed, add eggs one at a time, being sure to let fully incorporate before adding the next. Careful not to over beat.
4. In a separate bowl, mix flour, corn starch, baking soda, baking powder and salt together. Sift if needed to get out lumps.
5. In another bowl, combine buttermilk, lemon zest and lemon juice.
6. Add about 1/3 of your dry ingredients to the sugar mixture, then buttermilk mixture, then 1/3 dry, sour cream, then final 1/3 dry. Making sure to let the ingredients fully combine before adding the next.
7. In another bowl, lightly toss (fresh or frozen) blueberries in 2 tb flour, then fold into batter.
8. Fill liners about ¾ full and bake for 16-22 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
9. Buttercream: Beat butter for 3 minutes. (If using frozen blueberries, microwave to room temperate.) Mash blueberries and then push through a strainer to remove all skins and clumps. Add blueberry juice and lemon juice to butter and add powdered sugar. Adjust consistency as necessary. (Add more lemon juice, blueberry juice or milk to make thinner, or more powdered sugar to thicken.)
10. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with a fresh blueberry. I also added a few sprinkles